Thursday, January 19, 2012

Life Interrupted

When we moved to London, I tried out modern decor.  Modern catalogues look so pretty, and since we rented furniture, I saw a chance for a cohesive look.  Within weeks, I hated it.  It was cold and sterile, hard to warm up.  It also wasn't comfortable.  And cheap modern falls apart shockingly quickly.  To do modern, you have to go for quality.  Quality modern is shockingly expensive.  Needless to say, I got over my modern bug.
  
Upon our return, I started looking at those glossy catalogues, from the infamous Restoration Hardware book to CB2, Crate and Barrel's ultra modern glossy.  It looks like expensive stuff for 20somethings' apartments.  It is stuff that they will have no use for when have kids. 

Looking back on my own 20s, I have had many a discussion with girlfriends of the waste of time and money in our 20s.  We had few responsibilities and considerable salaries.  (I graduated in the boom times when firms had 6 figure bidding wars over law students.  These days I hear that grads hope for unpaid internships, which are really long running interviews.  But I digress.) We could, and did, spend more on fashion and furniture--precious little of which fit into our lives once we had children.  
Looking back, it all seems backwards to me.   We were always planning for our own life.  Wifery and motherhood then came as interruptions.  Worse, having done little to no prep for any bit of domestic life, we were surprised when marriage and parenthood proved difficult. 

3 comments:

Kacie said...

Yeah, I suppose I never fit into that timeline. I got married right out of college, and Isaac was still in school. All our furniture is from craigslist and we've had it for 6 years. We've always had a shoestring budget. I was thrown straight into domestic duties while simultaneously entering the work world.

It hasn't been easy, but it's been good! :)

AHLondon said...

I had a few friends on that timeline. At the time, the rest of us pitied them. Ten years later, we saw the advantages of such a timeline.

Anonymous said...

I linked to this post here:
http://edgeofthesandbox.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/style-and-fashion-pick-me-up-the-great-hemline-recession/
Cheers!