Wednesday, May 19, 2010

About the term "housewife"

A few years ago I was reading Caitlin Flanagan and decided to embrace the term.  It suited me perfectly.  I am not a stay-at-home mom, someone who, by title, is centered on her children.  I adore my children, but I am not at home so that they can be the center of my attention. I am an old-fashioned housewife.  I run all the "life administration," the house and finances, and generally put more effort into my marriage than into being the perfect modern mom.  I'd love to see "housewife" return to common usage without being some slander for some sort of put upon woman--or a reality show throw off for that matter.  Slacker Mom, Three Martini Mom, Free Range Mom, they all have the same idea, but, for those of us who don't work at least, the term "housewife" is better for common usage--less cheeky.